Image credit: webdesignerdepot
All websites have a Contact Us page. But, not all web owners know how to take advantage of this page to build the bridge with their precious visitors.
The contact page is one of the most underutilized pages in a website. Actually, after being so busy and putting all your effort into designing the main pages of your site, you can go easy with the last (but not least) piece: Contact Us page.
It’s truly vital to give your visitors important information about you like where you’re at, what’s your phone number, what’s your operation time… in your contact page. But along with that, make a contact page that keeps the customer engaged with your company.
Let me tell you, contact page is not necessarily just a boring page with boring contact form and ice cold company’s address or telephone number.
Contact page can be utilized to tell your company’s brand and take people closer to you. If you do the job well, Contact Us page can help convert visitors to potential customers.
How? Add some emotion and user friendly elements to your Contact Us! That’s why I’m here to help you with some good advices.
In this blog, we’ll learn:
- The must-have elements of an effective contact page
- How to optimize contact page for better User Experience and higher conversion
Now, let’s dive right in!
MUST-HAVE ELEMENTS OF A CONTACT PAGE
The name says it all. Contact page is a page containing contact information and methods to connect with liable individuals of the site. Most websites provide:
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Physical Address
- FAX number (if they have)
- Contact form
Now, let’s be a little more thoughtful. If your site hasn’t listed any of these following, you should reconsider them a little:
- Google Map of your address: We’ll know why and how in the below section.
- Individual contact information: For user to easily reach the right department – this also shows your professional way of work.
- Hours of operation
- Social Media contact information: The best are social buttons.
In case you need it, here are easy & useful resources for building Contact Page, Contact Form in Contact component of Joomla 1.5, Joomla 2.5 and Joomla 3.0:
- How to create a website with Joomla 1.5: Contact us page
- Create a Contact Form in Joomla (Joomla 2.5)
- How To Create A Contact Form in Joomla 2.5 (Youtube Video Tutorial)
- Joomla 3.0 Contacts Component Tutorial (7 tutorials – all about Contact Component in Joomla! 3.0)
HOW TO OPTIMIZE CONTACT PAGE
Optimize Contact Form
Many people don’t like contact form. Tell me your name, what’s your email address, give me more details. Oh, wait, not done yet! For security reason, tell me your favorite pet name. Fill in the Captcha. How troublesome!
The advice is, if not necessary, don’t make a long form with many fields or you want your visitors exhausted before they can actually type their message. Make your contact form less effort-consuming and less annoying. Apply these rules for any form you’re going to put on your site:
- Only require basic & truly necessary information you need from your visitors: The fewer fields there are the better. Studies show that by reducing number of fields from 11 to 4, the engagement of people increase by 120%.
If you want to collect more information from people contacting you, there are many marketing methods helping you do that such as providing free offer, subscribe to newsletter, etc. Try them!
- Don’t make a required drop-down field: Again, drop-down fields such as gender selection, ages or region, state…just make people more reluctant while trying to send you a contact message.
- “Submit” – Oh common, make it more compelling!Create a strong and more inviting text for the traditional “Submit” button. Why won’t you try “Send (Us/My) Message” or “Get connected” and see the difference?
- Take care of designing a catching form: It shouldn’t require much of your effort, but take time to select a good position for your contact form, align the fields, make space for it to “breath” and design a smooth looking “Submit” button to make it stand out.
One small note: Be sure to offer a “Thank you” message to let user know that you will be reviewing their message as soon as possible (given the exact amount time) and try to do as promise. People really like to know that their voice is listened and their questions will be answered.
Optimize Google Map for Your Address
Let your customers see that you really exist!
Statistics show that most websites nowadays use Google Maps. The higher rank the site has, the more likely they use Google Maps. The graph below shows the increasing number of websites using Google Maps:
Statistics also show that the highest number of sites using Google Map is business, education and government websites.
Only showing a stoned physical address is not smart. You really should add your address on Google Maps with driving direction. This tip especially works for company that has more than one address. It is even much more beneficial for businesses operating locally. A way better solution in showing people where you are! Look nice, easy to follow and no sweat drop for your site’s visitors!
Take a look at an example of JSE POI Auto Map:
JSE POI Auto Map helps displaying your address on Google Maps on any devices – mobile or PC, finding direction from user to the address, presenting your address multiply & internationally (works where Google Maps works). You can take a look at the DEMO site to see how it works for you.
Add Call-to-actions (CTAs)
Besides contacting function, what else do you think a Contact Us page can do?
There are many. Adding CTAs is one option. Why not encourage Feedback? Choose a second-good position (the best is for contact form, remember?) and invite people voting for you, or sending you a feedback about your site & service.
Or why not invite people to follow you on social networks for better chance to talk and update company’s latest news?
What about put a line here and show that you’re open for an affiliate program?
Take the best use of your Contact page, don’t let it go waste!
Navigate Your Visitors After Visiting Contact Page
Now that people finish sending you message and know where you at. Don’t make the possibility of clicking browser’s X button go higher! I would suggest you to pre-define the next step people should do after visiting your contact page.
Let’s provide them an option to “Shop Now” or “Take a tour” of your service, or “Go to DEMO” site… You can also take user to visit your site testimonial page for them to see how people think about you.
It’s the best that these options direct the user to other page within your website. Keeping them on your site is an significant task. More importantly, it will reinforce that you are the right one they want to give their business to.
Jazz It Up!
People may judge you by your cover. It’s true. So, even you’ve been practicing the above tips, why not make your page even more enticing and user friendly? Jazz it up! Add photos!
Here are some ideas for the photo should be put in a contact page:
Your finished product, or service in HD
- A picture of your Office place
- A picture of your leader/CEO
- A picture of your staff together
- Your logo, or trusted sign, security verification, etc.
Ensure the whole content not too long because nobody has time to sit there and scroll down forever to read!
Examples of Stunning & Effective Contact Pages to Inspire Your Own!
Here are some collections of inspiring Contact Page & Contact form design I found from popular design websites to help you generate ideas for creating your own unique and enticing Contact page. Take a look:
- 40 Creative Contact Forms For Your Inspiration
- 21 Inspiring Examples of Contact Pages and Forms
- 20 Excellent Contact Pages
Lastly, remember to provide prompt and thoughtful reply to any message received. After all, you’ve pumping great effort to your contact page, right? Show your potential customers a good & professional customer service beneath the good looking site.
Do you have any other tips to add? Please comment below! We'd love to discuss with you!
And Don't forget to SHARE this blog to your friends!